Dear Still community,
March 21st is recognized as World Down Syndrome awareness day to honor all individuals born with three copies of the 21st chromosome. In order to recognize these individuals, we are asking the community to participate in a few activities. On Monday, March 21st, students, faculty, staff, and family members can wear brown to support Noal’s Whale Rancher Buddy Walk team or blue and yellow which is recognized as the colors for Down Syndrome awareness.
Show your support by performing three random acts of kindness and leave the attached card for the recipient to know why they were treated to kindness. As a family, watch the following 13 minute video which helps make you and your children understand Down syndrome. Note: It might be more for older elementary, you can decide if your child would benefit from watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M–xOyGUX4
If you wish to share your photos of random acts and wearing colors of support, use the hashtags on this card! Thank you for making the world know we are all more alike than we are different!
Here is a list of 21 free or inexpensive ideas for random acts of kindness. These are just some thought starters for you… get creative, come up with new and original ideas and have FUN!
- Babysit for free for a friend
- Do odd jobs for an elderly person
- Leave a bag of microwave popcorn on a Redbox
- Leave quarters at a laundromat
- Prepare a meal for a homeless person/neighbor/friend
- Buy some extra canned goods for the local food bank
- Leave a book in a hospital waiting room
- Write a letter of appreciation to someone
- Donate blood
- Leave a couple of dollars at a dollar store
- Donate gently used clothing to a shelter
- Tape change to a vending machine
- Donate a book to your library or hospital
- Take supplies to an animal shelter
- Leave quarters on the riding toys at the mall
- Leave bus fare at a bus stop
- Leave bubbles or sidewalk chalk at the park
- Leave ice water for construction workers
- Make a thank you poster and hang it at your child’s School
- Take balloons to the park and hand them out
- Pick-up Litter In Your Neighborhood, park,etc.